Skip to main content

Saturday 22nd April 2017; Waking Faith By Steven Furtick - What Real Forgiveness Looks Like

 Matthew 18:21-22

"Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?' Jesus answered, 'I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.'"

When Peter approaches Jesus about the issue of forgiveness and offers up the number seven, it's more than just a number. Within Judaism, forgiving someone three times is sufficient. So Peter's offer of seven is over twice the requirement and, in comparison to the law, a generous offer. At least, I'm sure that's what Peter is thinking.

But instead of approving of this, Jesus actually raises the stakes and tells Peter to forgive "not seven times, but seventy-seven times." I can almost see Peter's jaw dropping. Jesus is getting the point across: "It's not a numbers game." It's a heart issue, not a math problem. It's not about marking something off a checklist; it's about living a lifestyle of love and grace.

Our world operates totally in opposition to this principle. We depend on give and take. Balance and counterbalance. Debits and credits. We like keeping score, which begins to look like a toxic game of tug of war: You hurt me, so I'll hurt you. You treated me nicely, so I'll treat you nicely. You offended me, so I'll offend you.

The problem with this is that when you keep score in a relationship, everyone loses. As followers of Christ, we're not called just to forgive when it's convenient and fair. We're called to live in forgiveness. And it isn't just a good idea or some helpful advice; it's foundational.

In every relationship, there's one thing for certain — both you and the other person will be imperfect. You will both mess up, you will both make mistakes, and you will both need to apologize. Rather than keeping score, though, try keeping a commitment to forgive.

Written By: Pastor Steven Furtick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Naira (NGN) Exchange Rates

Nigerian naira (NGN) exchange rates with some countries in the world; as at 16th of November 2015.

Daddy's Little Girl

Every Sunday of the year seem to be Mother's day but i am not complaining because i am a woman too, so imagine my amazement when i found out today is Father's day, oh finally we spared one Sunday for our dads, that is awesome, for me this day is a very beautiful day not just because we are celebrating Fathers but because i am celebrating a very special Man.

Baby Audrey Goes To Church

Photos from beautiful  Audrey (Oshoke) Dakpokpo's dedication,Sunday July 26 2015. May your life be filled with God's goodness.